Milk allergy is the most common allergy in early childhood, but it can also affect some adults. It is caused when the body overreacts to proteins in milk and can lead to a wide range of symptoms. These include:
- Life-threatening anaphylaxis
- Stomach problems (gas, cramping, diarrhea)
- Skin problems (eczema, hives)
- Respiratory problems
But at the Family Allergy Clinic, there’s hope. We offer a treatment known as sublingual immunotherapy that may help milk allergy sufferers incorporate milk into their diet without compromising their health. It starts with a serum containing extracts of milk proteins. Patients can take the serum as sublingual (under-the-tongue) allergy drops that absorb into the bloodstream through special cells in the mouth, gradually desensitizing the body to milk proteins.
Allergy drops have been found to be safer than allergy shots (for adults’ and kids’ allergies). Sublingual immunotherapy has been used since the mid-1980s for pollen allergies. Recent research, including high-profile studies at Duke University,1 has shown the sublingual allergy drops to be a safe, effective treatment for food allergies as well.
1Kim EH, Bird JA, Kulius M, Laubach S, Pons L, Shreffler W, Steele P, Kamilaris J, Vickery B, Burks AW. “Sublingual immunotherapy for peanut allergy: clinical and immunologic evidence of desensitization.” Journal of Allergy & Clinical Immunology Mar 2011