Wet weather and humid conditions are perfect for the growth of mold, both indoors and outdoors. Along with pollens, molds are among the worst allergy offenders.
A mold is a fungus that reproduces through airborne spores that are so small they cannot be seen with the naked eye. Mold begins growing indoors when the spores land on a wet surface. There are different types of mold, but they all grow in the presence of moisture or water.
Water sources in homes, such as plumbing or roof leaks, can trigger mold infestations. Mold can spread through the whole house very quickly, stirring up miserable allergy symptoms and other significant health problems.
Inhaling mold spores can cause allergic reactions. These reactions are most common in rainy or humid months. Even when weather conditions are dry, though, mold can grow indoors in the right environment such as in a poorly ventilated bathroom.
The symptoms of mold allergy are very similar to those associated with pollen allergy. They include itching, sneezing, a runny or congested nose, coughing, and wheezing.Molds can also incite asthma. These reactions are triggered by chemicals like histamine. The body releases them because it misconstrues harmless allergens as “enemy invaders” such as germs or bacteria. The molds themselves are not the problem. It’s the body’s overreaction to them that causes the problem.
The first step to combat mold allergy is to eliminate mold sources. Though you can’t control outdoor molds, there are steps you can take inside your home. Fix leaks and consider using a dehumidifier in areas of your home that get a lot of moisture. Make sure your bathrooms and kitchen have good air flow. If your symptoms still don’t let up, talk to your doctor about allergy medication.
Your doctor may want to prescribe sublingual immunotherapy drops which are commonly used to reduce allergic reactions to mold. The drops work much like allergy shots, conditioning the body to tolerate molds rather than overreact to them.
The oral allergy drops can be dispensed daily under the tongue where they absorb into the bloodstream. They can target mold, pet, pollen, dust, and food allergies. They are safer than shots and can be taken at home.
Rather than overreacting every time your body encounters an airborne mold spore, allergy drops can help your body ignore the spores so you can feel good regardless of your environment.