The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will present the 90th Academy Awards or Oscar Awards on March 4. The awards will honor the best films of the past year and the talented individuals who contributed to them.
Fame brings many things, but it doesn’t bring freedom from health challenges. Many of the best actors and actresses of our time suffer from health problems—including allergies.
In honor of the upcoming Academy Awards, here’s a look at a few famously allergic celebrities:
- Kim Kardashian – The notorious reality star discovered late in life that she is allergic to cats. It is estimated that about 25% of the general population has a cat allergy.
- Clay Aiken – This American Idol runner-up has long suffered from various types of food allergies, including an allergy to chocolate, shellfish, mushrooms, tree nuts, and coffee. Food allergy is one of the most common allergies among Americans and is estimated to affect about two children per school classroom.
- Miley Cyrus – Cyrus became famous as the character Miley Stewart in the TV series Hannah Montana. This American singer, actress, and songwriter has sensitivities to gluten and lactose.
- Joshua Jackson – The Canadian actor who played the character Pacey Witter in Dawson’s Creek is not new to dangerous situations in front of the camera, but he also faces real-life danger due to a nut allergy. Jackson was once rushed to the emergency room because of a severe allergic reaction. Jackson also suffers with asthma.
- Halle Berry – This Oscar winner is famous for her exceptional acting and sense of fashion as well as her beauty. Berry is one of millions of Americans who have a shellfish allergy. Unlike many allergies that begin in childhood, shellfish allergies tend to develop in adulthood.
- Steve Martin – Most Americans know Martin as a popular comedian who made us double-over in laughter in many movies and on the set of “Saturday Night Live.” In his later years, Martin transitioned into serious acting as well as music, regaling audiences with his prowess on the banjo. Like Berry, Martin has a shellfish allergy.
- Zooey Deschanel – A singer and actress, Deschanel is open about her allergy problems, which give her an intolerance to eggs and gluten.
These famous Hollywood stars are living proof that people can thrive in life in spite of allergies. If you need help with your allergies, consider allergy immunotherapy for long-term relief from symptoms. The treatment is available through allergy shots or sublingual immunotherapy (allergy drops). Allergy drops are effective with both pollen and food allergy treatment.