While the Christmas tree has become one of the most time-honored traditions of the holiday, it can also be a prime source of allergic misery. Fake trees can come out of the basement or down from the rafters lined with dust particles and mold spores. Freshly-cut trees often bring outdoor pollens and molds into your home and bear reaction-causing resins.
But before you dispense with the tree altogether, here are a few tips for making it a little less allergenic:
Hose fake trees down before bringing them inside. Seal them up in bags or bins after the holiday to keep them from accumulating allergens in storage.
Some new trees are made of polyethylene rather than polyvinyl chloride (PVC). If you are buying a new tree, seek out the former! It is much better for people with respiratory allergies than PVC.
If you buy a real tree, see if the vendor can “de-allergen” it for you buy giving it a some good jolts with a mechanical shaker or blasting it with a hose.
Avoid sap. Wear gloves if you must. Sap contains chemicals that can stir up allergic reactions.
Consider a less-allergenic real tree such as a Leyland Cypress (less pollens and sap)
Check the web for allergy-free alternatives such as trees made out of bottles, cardboard, driftwood, and more!
And if allergies are getting in the way of your day-to-day enjoyment of life, consider testing and treatment using no-shots therapy at the Family Allergy Clinic.